JANE AUSTEN’S EMMA
by Jane Austen, Adapted by Michael Fry
An Oregon Premiere
In celebration of the bicentenary of the novel’s publication
NOTE: Thursday, May 5th’s “Preview Performance” is PAY WHAT YOU WILL! Show up to the Venetian Theatre on Thursday, May 5th (before 7:15pm) and make a donation, in any amount, to see the show that night!
“An evening of rare pleasure, indulging Austen fans with a worthy tribute, and giving all a charmingly playful experience.“ – Theatreview New Zealand
Emma is one of the best-known and most-beloved of all English novels, and Jane Austen’s story has delighted generations of readers. This new adaptation brings to life all of the wonderfully eccentric characters from Austen’s little England as played by just five actors. “Private Theatricals” were a popular pastime in the Austen family home, and adaptor Michael Fry has inventively placed his Emma within just such a setting.
Sharp-tongued, beautifully observed and with a charming lightness of touch, this is a “play within a play” which delightfully and ingeniously retains the words and wit of the classic novel. In celebration of the bicentenary of the novel’s publication.
See the latest updates about this production!
- “PERFECT!” The Oregonian Reviews EMMA
- “TERRIFIC!” Dennis Sparks’ Review of EMMA
- “CHARMING!” Portland Tribune Review of EMMA
- About Community- Patrick Walsh Blogs On Emma
- I Was A Jackass: Joey Copsey’s EMMA Blog
- No Notes In The Margins: Cassie Greer’s EMMA Blog
- ALL IN: A New Access and Affordability Initiative
- Filled With Imperfections: Clara Hillier on Playing EMMA
- Andrew Beck Has A Moment: EMMA Blog
- Jane Austen’s EMMA: Still Sassy @ 200!
May 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 27, 28, & 29 (2016)
Thurs/Fri/Sat at 7:30pm
Sunday at 2:00pm
The Venetian Theatre
253 E Main Street, Hillsboro 97123