At Bag&Baggage, we believe every student can benefit from experiencing the performing arts. Rigorous research has taught us that the value of theatre is priceless — it can help our children improve reading and language skills, explore complex social and philosophical questions, develop a lifelong appreciation for the arts, and build connections within our community. But, as school district budgets across the region tighten, we also know that arts programs are often the first to be cut.
Bag&Baggage wants to ensure that every student has the chance to experience high quality, professional performing arts; we have risen to the challenge with PASSPORT: Any Student, Any Show, No Drama.
The program is simple: Any student from any high school, tribal school, online academy, charter school, or registered home school in Washington, Tillamook, Yamhill, or Columbia County can show up to The Vault Theater 15-30 minutes prior to any performance in B&B’s 5-show season, show a valid student ID card, and receive a free ticket if the show is not sold out – no questions asked. It's just that easy!
Theatre introduces students to new worlds — worlds filled with drama, comedy, language, philosophy, critical thinking, relationships, and more. Our PASSPORT program removes the single greatest barrier to accessing professional performing arts: cost. For schools across the region, budgets are tight; for most districts, funding for field trips and to pay for tickets to arts experiences are simply not available. This means that an entire generation of students from our community may graduate from high school having never experienced the joys of professional live theatre.
PASSPORT aims to change that. By making tickets 100% free to any student, and by providing teachers with curriculum guides to help incorporate theatre into their classrooms, we hope to ensure that any student who wants to see live theatre CAN — without the barrier of cost.
WHY IS ACCESS TO THEATRE IMPORTANT?
Research has shown that involvement in drama has a profoundly positive impact on students. The American Alliance For Theatre & Education reports that Drama Involvement:
* improves overall academic performance
* increases student engagement and improves attendance
* plays a significant role in the development of advanced reading skills, including reading comprehension and language skills
* builds self-esteem and improves social skills
- compared to non-arts students, leads to higher scores on the SAT and other standardized tests
We KNOW that drama experiences can change lives and improve student’s academic performance — that’s why PASSPORT is so important to us, to our community, and to students.
Any student. Any show. No drama.
HOW TO USE PASSPORT:
1) Look on our website for a show you or your students want to see and double check that your school participates in the program. (Hint: is your school based in Washington, Yamhill, Columbia, or Tillamook County? If so, you are GOOD TO GO!)
2) Show up at the box office 15 minutes before the show. (This means 7:15pm for an evening show, or 1:45pm for a matinee.)
3) Show our box office staff a valid student ID from any participating school
4) Enjoy the show!
You can also call us at 503 345 9590 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more!
Since the inception of the PASSPORT program in 2010, thousands of students have taken advantage of the ability to experience the joys of live theatre for free
Accessing Student Tickets
This is the best part: If you are a student at any of the following high schools in our area, you are entitled to a free ticket to ANY of our regularly scheduled performances. Simply show up at the box office on the night of the show and provide us with a valid student ID from your school and you will receive your ticket. It is just that easy! Of course, you can also call us at 503 345 9590 or email email@example.com to find out more!
- Aloha High School
- Arts and Communication Magnet Academy
- Banks High School
- Beaverton High School
- Beaverton Online Academy
- Catlin Gabel School
- Century High School
- City View Charter School
- Cornelius High School
- Durham Education Center
- Faith Bible High School
- Forest Grove High School
- Forest Grove Community School
- Gaston High School
- Glencoe High School
- Heritage Christian School
- Hillsboro High School
- Hillsboro Online Academy
- International School of Beaverton
- Jesuit High School
- Liberty High School
- Merlo Station High School
- Miller Education Center
- Miller Education West
- Oregon Episcopal School
- Oregon Islamic Academy
- Sherwood High School
- Sherwood Charter School
- Southridge High School
- Sunset High School
- Tigard High School
- Tigard/Tualatin Online Academy
- Tualatin High School
- Thomas Edison High School
- Valley Catholic School
- Washington County Home School Association
- Westview High School
- Clastkanie High School
- Clatskanie Middle School
- Columbia County Christian High School
- Columbia County Education Campus
- Columbia County Home School Association
- Jewell High School
- North Columbia Academy
- Rainier High School
- Scappoose High School
- St. Helens High School
- St. Helens Home Schools
- Vernonia High School
- Vernonia Home School Group
- Amity High School
- CS Lewis Academy
- Dayton High School
- The Delphinian School
- McMinnville High School
- McMinnville Home Schools
- Media Arts & Communication Academy
- Newberg High School
- Opportunity House High School
- Sheridan High School
- Sheridan Japanese High School
- Veritas High School
- Willamina High School
- Yamhill/Carlton High School
- Nestucca High School
- Neah-kah-nie High School
- Tillamook High School
- Tillamook County Home School Association
- Trask River High School
(If your recognized, accredited high school is not listed here, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
SPONSORED BY LINDA MORRISSON
Linda Morrisson's work on B&B's annual gala is the main reason we are able to offer PASSPORT tickets for high school students. Linda's tireless efforts to raise funds via our gala and auction are the primary source of funding for this program. In honor of her passion, dedication, and commitment to access, we are proud to recognize Linda as the main sponsor of the PASSPORT program. Thank you, Linda!