HIRING: Box Office Manager
Bag&Baggage Productions is seeking motivated theatre and customer service lovers to join our team in a part time position: Box Office Manager.
The Box Office Manager is the primary staff member responsible for: interfacing with theatre patrons; and selling tickets to all Bag&Baggage (B&B) and The Vault Theater performances; utilizing and maintaining our PatronManager database and ticketing system; and building ticketable events. The Box Office Manager maintains regular weekday box office hours in addition to operating the box office during all B&B shows, and attends weekly staff meetings and ongoing company-wide equity trainings. The position is overseen by the Operations Manager, and works closely with the Operations Manager and Marketing Manager. This is a part-time, hourly, non-exempt position.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: (A.K.A. The Nitty-Gritty)
- Manage B&B’s database and ticketing system, PatronManager, including selling season ticket packages; selling single tickets and booking individual season tickets; processing payments from all B&B events, including fundraisers; building all shows, seasons, performances, season passes, discount codes, etc.; updating automatic email templates; and maintaining the patron database.
- Maintain regular weekday box office hours at The Vault (hours are currently M, W, F 11am-5pm; schedule moving forward will be determined upon hiring, based on Box Office Manager’s availability). Respond to phone calls, voicemails, and emails from patrons. Book tickets via email, over the phone, and in person.
- Work pre-show box office for all B&B shows and events: typically 4-5 B&B shows per season; 3-4 week runs; 6:00-8:00pm Thursday/Friday/Saturday; 12:30-2:30pm Sunday.
- Book group tickets and handle any special ticketing arrangements or patron requests
- Create and track gift certificates that are purchased or donated by B&B to other nonprofits. Field requests for ticket donations.
- Train substitute box officers if Box Office Manager is unavailable to work for a performance.
- Schedule ushers for each production and send reminders to ushers for each performance.
- Manage data entry, pull ticketing reports, and prepare and send weekly reports to appropriate staff.
- Enter demographics survey data into Google Sheets and share results with appropriate staff.
- Update the “Upcoming Events” bulletin in the phone system.
- Respond to all email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org emails or direct them to the appropriate staff person.
- Assist Managing Director and Artistic Director with fundraising communications (ex: sending thank-you letters, maintaining donor lists, etc.).
QUALIFICATIONS: (A.K.A. All About You)
Do you love theatre?
Do you enjoy interacting with all different kinds of people and helping them out?
Do you appreciate all things organizational, from sticky notes to spreadsheets?
Do you like group projects, especially if the other members of the group do the work too?
You’ve come to the right place!
WORKING CONDITIONS: (A.K.A. The Digs)
- Shared office space
- ADA accessible building with specific COVID procedures in place
- Mobile off-site box office (also ADA accessible) during outdoor summer events; work may occur outdoors in some cases
- Continuous use of computers, tablets, phone, credit card processor; occasional use of video calls
- B&B staff is currently working from home, and may continue to do so due to COVID-19; work-from-home for this position would necessitate use of personal phone for work-related tasks (with phone-use stipend available)
SALARY: (A.K.A. Money)
$17/hr - 18 hrs/week year-round, with 8 additional hours/week when B&B shows are in production
TO APPLY: (A.K.A. Let’s Do This!)
We want to learn about you, and why you’re interested in this position! If you’re most comfortable communicating about that in a cover letter or email, great; if not, please submit a photo, video, audio recording, or visual piece that tells us a little bit about you, your interest in working with B&B, and anything you might like us to know that isn’t immediately apparent from looking at your resume. Oh, and also please send us your resume. Email all of this to email@example.com by Friday, April 23rd at 5:00pm.
If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by 5:00pm on Monday, April 26th, and asked to provide 2-3 references. Interviews will take place 10am-2pm, Wednesday-Friday, April 28th-30th over Zoom; accommodation requests are welcome. The ideal position start date is May 17th, 2021. All applicants will be notified when the position has been filled.
If you have any access concerns or need additional support surrounding any element of the application/hiring process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The hiring panel for this position is comprised of Beth Lewis, Cassie Greer, TS McCormick, and Alec Lugo.
ABOUT BAG&BAGGAGE PRODUCTIONS: (A.K.A. All About Us)
Since its inception in 2005, Bag&Baggage Productions has produced more than 70 full-scale theatrical productions and has performed for audiences of more than 200,000. What began as a traveling company, staging shows all over Oregon in communities that lacked access to live professional theatre, has since evolved into a full-fledged arts organization with our own permanent venue in Downtown Hillsboro: The Vault Theater, which stands on the traditional lands of the Kalapuya, Atfalati, and the Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde. B&B continues to be a leader in arts and cultural offerings in Washington County, striving to present the finest theatrical experiences that engage the breadth of our community. B&B’s current mission is to unpack the stories we carry with us — from anecdotal to epic; from original to classic — using these as the groundwork to create transformative theatrical experiences that explore our shared humanity. We produce an annual slate of five shows, in addition to hosting an array of other performing arts experiences at The Vault.
As a predominantly white institution located in a state that has a history as a “white haven” founded on anti-Black and anti-Indigenous practices, our theatre company has traditionally been dominated by the white narrative – privileging white bodies, voices, practices, policies, and experiences above all else – and we know we have much work to do. We value this work of dismantling white supremacy throughout our organization and beyond, and we seek to have our policies, practices, and art reflect our commitment to antiracism. To learn more, visit www.bagnbaggage.org/wsywat-bnb-response.
General Crew Opportunities
Paid crew positions available for productions may include: Stage Manager, Assistant Stage Manager, Run Crew, Head of Props, Light Board Operator, Sound Board Operator, Set Construction crew, and Front of House Manager.
To be considered for a paid crew position, you should have previous professional experience, access to reliable transportation (or ideally be based in Washington County), and be available and willing to attend rehearsals and work in Hillsboro. Preference will be given to applicants who posses either significant Educational Theatre experience at a college level and/or Professional Experience.
To be considered for a crew position, please send an electronic resume to our Managing Director Beth Lewis in PC format (.doc or .pdf), including references and contact information for your references (send to: email@example.com). Please also be sure to indicate what crew position(s) most interest you. Applicants selected for consideration will be contacted to arrange an interview time. Hired crew members will be offered a competitive wage, based on the crew role and production.
Backstage Tech Internships
If you are a high school student and you are interested in interning with us on our backstage tech crew, please visit our High School Internships page.
Volunteer opportunities are available for those interested in ushering or assisting in other methods of support for the Company. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org expressing your level of interest and availability for volunteer opportunities.