HIRING: Box Office Manager
Bag&Baggage Productions, Hillsboro’s resident professional theatre, is seeking qualified candidates for a part time position: Box Office Manager.
The Box Office Manager is the primary staff member responsible for: utilizing and maintaining our PatronManager ticketing system; building all ticketable events; interfacing with theatre patrons; and selling tickets to all Bag&Baggage (B&B) and The Vault Theater performances. The Box Office Manager maintains regular weekday box office hours in addition to operating the box office during all B&B shows. The position is overseen jointly by the Artistic Director and Managing Director, and works closely with the Marketing Manager and the Production & Event Manager. This is a part-time, hourly, non-exempt position.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage B&B’s ticketing system, PatronManager, including selling season ticket packages; selling single tickets and booking individual season tickets; processing payments from all B&B events, including fundraisers; building all shows, seasons, performances, season passes, discount codes, etc.; updating automatic email templates; and maintaining the patron database.
- Maintain regular weekday box office hours at The Vault (M, W, F 11am-5pm). Respond to phone calls, voicemails, and emails from patrons. Book tickets via email, over the phone, and in person.
- Work pre-show box office for all B&B shows at The Vault.
- Book group tickets and handle any special ticketing arrangements or patron requests
- Create and track gift certificates that are purchased or donated by B&B to other nonprofits. Field requests for ticket donations.
- Hire and train new box officers, as needed.
- Manage data entry, pull ticketing reports, and prepare and send weekly reports to all staff.
- Schedule ushers for each production and send reminders to ushers for each performance.
- Enter demographics survey data into Google Sheets and share results with appropriate staff.
- Update the “Upcoming Events” bulletin in the phone system.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Theater, Communications, or similar field.
- Minimum of 2 years relevant experience in customer service or database management, preferably within the performing arts.
- Familiarity with PatronManager preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to function as a key member of a multi-faceted team.
$17/hr - 18 hrs/week year-round, with 8 additional hours/week when B&B shows are in production
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, March 24th at 5:00pm. Interviews will take place on Thursday, March 26th and Friday, March 27th. The ideal position start date is April 6th, 2020.
ABOUT BAG&BAGGAGE PRODUCTIONS:
Bag&Baggage Productions was founded in 2005 with a mission to tour the state of Oregon performing high-quality, accessible, classical theatre for communities without a resident professional theatre. Like a traveling troupe of Elizabethan players, this small band of performers would arrive in places like Hood River, Corvallis, Beaverton, Astoria, Sandy, and Hillsboro with everything they needed to put on a show in their “bags and baggage…” (hence our company name, which comes directly from Shakespeare’s great pastoral comedy As You Like It). Over the course of the next 10 years, B&B performed dozens of shows in downtown Hillsboro’s Venetian Theatre, growing from a small, scrappy suburban theatre into a fully-fledged professional theatre with a national reputation for excellence. In 2016, B&B purchased a former Wells Fargo bank building in downtown Hillsboro, refurbishing the space into a studio theatre now known as The Vault Theater. With the opening of The Vault in 2017, B&B expanded their programming to include a wide range of partnerships, including presenting other non-profit arts groups, film and cinema events, educational programming and workshops, and a renewed focus on equity, diversity, and social justice. Bag&Baggage is Hillsboro’s flagship performing arts organization, and the largest non-profit cultural organization in the city.
Bag&Baggage’s mission is to crack open and explore the classics of world literature through innovative and provocative theatrical productions, connecting these great works to the people in our diverse community in a way that affirms our shared humanity. As the only professional performing arts organization in Hillsboro, we believe we have the responsibility to connect our work to the lives and experiences of the people who call our community home. B&B is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion; to creating a safe place for artists of all backgrounds to explore their craft; and to building an open and accepting workplace culture.
General Crew Opportunities
Paid crew positions available for productions may include: Stage Manager, Assistant Stage Manager, Run Crew, Head of Props, Light Board Operator, Sound Board Operator, Set Construction crew, and Front of House Manager.
To be considered for a paid crew position, you should have previous professional experience, access to reliable transportation (or ideally be based in Washington County), and be available and willing to attend rehearsals and work in Hillsboro. Preference will be given to applicants who posses either significant Educational Theatre experience at a college level and/or Professional Experience.
To be considered for a crew position, please send an electronic resume to our Managing Director Beth Lewis in PC format (.doc or .pdf), including references and contact information for your references (send to: email@example.com). Please also be sure to indicate what crew position(s) most interest you. Applicants selected for consideration will be contacted to arrange an interview time. Hired crew members will be offered a competitive wage, based on the crew role and production.
Backstage Tech Internships
If you are a high school student and you are interested in interning with us on our backstage tech crew, please visit our High School Internships page.
Volunteer opportunities are available for those interested in ushering or assisting in other methods of support for the Company. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org expressing your level of interest and availability for volunteer opportunities.